Te Hītori

History of Maungatapu

Maungatapu Primary is a School that has a rich and valued history. Over 130 years old, Maungatapu School has seen and experienced many changes in how our world and society function. It has grown with the change and still holds many of the founding principles within the culture of the school.

18814 July 1881 – Date of Establishment at Anglican Church on Te Hono Street. Opening Roll was 26. Mr JW Dufus was Headmaster.
1881Local Maori Ngati He, offered 2 acres of land for a school site to Education Department. A classroom and teacher ‘s residence was built and the site was known as “Mara o Tatahu” on the north east side of the Maungatapu Peninsula.
1882Construction began
1884Cpt Morgan was Headmaster helped by his wife. He established a side school in an old church at Ngapeke. Mrs Morgan continued at Maungatapu.
18888 pupils at Maungatapu, 31 at Ngapeke.
1889Mr Griffin was Headmaster and in April Maungatpau was clased as all tamariki went to Ngapeke.
1890Re-opened with 17 pupils
1895Tribal migration and low numbers caused the closure of Maungatapu Native School.
1898Maungatapu School House moved to Papamoa.
1908Petition for re-establishment of Maungatapu Native School. A new site was gifted of 3 acres at present site of school.
1913School completed and open with Head Teacher Miss Baker assisted by Miss Geissler.
1914Miss Baker resigned and Mr Roach became new Head Teacher in October. Roll 82.
 1922 Roll 65, of which 25 are pakeha.
 1937 Roll numbers saw a new detached open air classroom built, which is the current Puwhariki Unit.
 1949 Tennis courts and driveway were tarsealed.
 1953 Roll 116 pupils.
 1956 Additional 2 acres acquired for play area.
 1962 Maungatapu Maori School Disestablished. A new public school under the control of the South Auckland Education Board. Roll 126 pupils.
 1965 New Classrooms built and new admin block which is part of Rangi-A-Tea. Renovations to original classrooms.
 1968 Construction of swimming pool.
 1969 Two new classrooms.
 1974 Two new classrooms. Roll 400 pupils.
 1976 Library set up and two relocatable classrooms were added. Roll 512 pupils.
 1979 Welcome Bay School Opened. 170 pupils left Maungatapu which relieved the pressure which had peaked in 1977 with 575 pupils.
 1982 School roll 330 pupils.
 1984 Te Kohanga Reo discussed provision for Kohanga reo children.
 1987 Local Maori visit school to discuss provision for children in the Máori language and culture. Class opened to focus on promotion Te Reo and Máori Culture.
 1988 Unit received official Bi-Lingual status.
 1989 Election of first Board of Trustees.
 1990 School Carpark complete.
 1995 New playground constructed at front of school.
 1998 New school and community hall and new administration block.
 1999 New classroom.
 2000 New Classroom.
 2001 Library becomes a classroom.
 2002 New Library
 2004 A classroom block relocated in school to build Whare Toi.
 2005 Rangi Atea completed.
 2006 Puwhariki classrooms renovated to have 3 classrooms and changing of toilets and book room.
 2011 Maungatapu is a Decile 5 school that has 23 classrooms, catering for new entrant through to Year 6. There are 3 classrooms in the Puwhariki unit
 2013  School Dental Clinic closed.
Two 21st Century classrooms in the Senior Syndicate Room 15 & 16 with a karakia opening service.
 2014 Library repaired with a new roof Term 1.
Term 2: Under construction: Two more 21st Century classrooms in the Middle Syndicate Room 13 & 14.
Term 3: 21st Century classrooms in the Middle Syndicate Room 13 & 14 with a karakia opening service