What is STEAM?
STEAM Education represents an instructional approach that integrates science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics to facilitate student inquiry, discussion, and problem-solving. At Maungatapu School, we are fortunate to boast a dedicated STEAM room where students receive lessons from Jo Naera, our specialist STEAM teacher.
Why is STEAM important?
The evolving landscape of global skill shortages in STEAM-related fields is reshaping educational priorities. Maungatapu School has implemented a STEAM-based learning program to equip students with the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in the 21st century. Beyond cultivating future designers and engineers, STEAM learning fosters innovative mindsets and problem-solving abilities, ensuring that students from Maungatapu School evolve into creators of technology, not mere consumers.
Benefits of STEAM learning
Participation in STEAM learning empowers children to:
- Think creatively and beyond conventional boundaries.
- Feel secure expressing innovative ideas.
- Engage comfortably in hands-on learning experiences.
- Take ownership of their educational journey.
- Collaborate effectively with peers.
- Grasp the interconnected nature of science, mathematics, the arts, and technology.
- Develop a heightened curiosity about the world, empowering them to effect positive change.